Five founding nations –Belgium, Denmark, France, Luxembourg and the Netherlands- created CISM while meeting in Nice at a fencing event on 18 February 1948. Although they were only European countries, CISM founding nations did have a global project in mind.
This desire among the military to meet in sports arenas instead of battlegrounds was nothing new in 1948. Indeed, just after the First World War, the first Interallied Games were organised upon the initiative of General Pershing and his entourage with 18 nations representing five continents. In 1919, 1500 athletes competed in 24 different sports in front of a large audience in Joinville in the Paris suburbs.
CISM of the Americas
The CISM of the Americas Continent consists of 18 member nations. Nations include: Argentina, Barbados, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Jamaica, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, United States of America, Uruguay and Venezuela. There are two liaison offices known as the North American Liaison Office (NALO) and the South American Liaison Office (SALO).
Nowadays CISM organize various sporting events for the armed forces of its 136 member countries and is one of the global sports organizations in which the largest number of disciplines is represented. Soldiers, who may previously have met on the battlefield, now meet in friendship on the sports playing field. This is in accordance with the philosophy and the ideals which were set in CISM’s mission statement in 1998, signed by all the member countries.
Gepostet von CISM – Conseil International du Sport Militaire am Freitag, 12. Oktober 2018
The Military World Games are a multisports event organised every four years since 1995
They are held one year before the year the Olympic Games are organised.
- The 1st Military World Games 1995 Military World Games was held in Rome, Italy from 4 to 16 September 1995; 93 nations competed in 17 different sporting events to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the second World War and of the ratification of the United Nations Organization Charter.
- In 1999, the 2nd Military World Games 1999 Military World Games was held in August 1999 in Zagreb, Croatia; 7000 participants from 82 nations competed in 20 sports.
- In 2003, the 3rd Military World Games 2003 Military World Games was held in December 2003 in Catania, Italy; Participants from 84 different nations competed in 13 sports.
- In 2007, the 4th Military World Games 2007 Military World Games was held in October 2007 in Hyderabad, India; Participants from 101 countries competed in 14 sports.
- In 2011, the 5th Military World Games 2011 Military World Games was held in July 2011 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil ; Participants from 108 countries competed in 20 sports. Brazil topped the medal table with 45 gold, 33 silver and 36 bronze. China was the second with 37 gold, 28 silver and 34 bronze. Italy captured 14 gold, 13 silver and 24 bronze to round out the top three.
- In 2015, the 6th Military World Games 2015 Military World Games was held in October 2015 in Mungyeong, South Korea; Participants from 105 countries, more 15 as observer, competed in 24 sports, including five military sports. Russia topped the medal table with 59 gold, 43 silver and 33 bronze. Brazil was the second with 34 gold, 26 silver and 24 bronze. China captured 32 gold, 31 silver and 35 bronze to round out the top three.
- In 2019, the edition of the 7th CISM World Games will take place in Wuhan, China.
- CISM Facebook
- CISM Instagram
- CISM Twitter
- CISM Youtube